I went to a star party last night. Whats that? Its a bunch of people hanging around in a parking lot, in the dark, looking at stars. Its more fun than it sounds. The organizer had a green laser that he used to point out stars and constellations. The greatest thing is, the location was on top of a mountain and we could see the Milky Way Galaxy without a telescope. That was the first time I saw the Milky Way; its generally impossible to see in a populated area as the light pollution drowns it out. Seeing something so huge it stretches across the entire sky is quite overwhelming. Knowing it is 100,000 light years across and houses maybe 300 billion stars (most of which probably have planets too) is even more awesome. Mars and Saturn were clearly noticeable also. All this stuff in the sky can be located on the iPhone app I use called Sky Guide (http://fifthstarlabs.com/). Best two dollars I ever spent. Also that night, we saw the International Space Station fly overhead. You can know when it goes overhead by going to this NASA site (http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/). On the way up the mountain, I stopped to take these photos above the fog that constantly makes San Francisco gray only 10 miles away. If you click on them, the photos have great detail.
Blog Post Categories
Recent Blog Posts
- RT @BarbraStreisand: How low can we go with the Liar in Chief? The GOP is the "family values” party? Where is their criticism of the Trump… 53 minutes ago
- How to make an aurora - let the solar wind hit the Earth’s magnetic field at 1,000,000 mph. - more at… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- RT @HUBBLE_space: A glistening and ancient globular cluster named NGC 3201 — @ESA #Hubble Picture of the Week socsi.in/l8t3e https… 16 hours ago
- RT @LyndaObst: Why didn’t the NYT play the Women’s Marches across the country on the front page? Menendez Retrial & Baltimore Murder rare i… 1 day ago
- RT @greenhousenyt: In a Nutshell, Here's What's Wrong with the U.S. Political System --Just days after Congress passes the tax law that wil… 1 day ago